onsdag 14. april 2010

To Read English Literature or Not To Read English Literature, That is the Question...

Of course reading English literature is important, but how necessery all of it is for me, am I not so sure of yet. Nevertheless, reading English is important - to a certain point.
This spring we read an English novel at school. I read Matilda by Roald Dahl. I've already read it in Norwegian, but there's no doubt that I definately prefer the English version. If i am reading a book, i choose to read it in English, because i want to read the original text, not a translation. I've seen from earlier times that norwegian translations aren't always that good.I like reading English, and I like reading nice books and funny texts. However, (Astrid and Sven; kill me for saying this) I don't see the use of reading sonnets and works by Shakespeare. Of course I know that his works are a huge part of the English history, but I, personnaly, don't believe that this knowledge will benefit me later. If I could choose, we would have read more recent English literature, instead of something that happened a long time ago.
I have read The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, both in English. I loved reading them, and I would rather read more of these types of books instead of old sonnets. To not seem totally negative, I may add that I really liked all the short stories we have read so far these terms!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar