
Monday November 30th.Today, we saw a film at school named Brick Lane. The film, finding place in London, is directed by Sarah Gavron. The story is adapted from the novel, also named Brick Lane, by Monica Ali. The movie was released in November 2007, and the actors starring are persons as Tannishtha Chatterjee, Satish Kaushik, Christopher Simpson and Naeema Begum.
The sotry is about a woman, Nazneen, who grew up in Bangladesh but moved to London, in Brick Lane, at the age of 17. Her marriage was arranged, and her husband was twice her age. Her sister stays in Bangladesh, and the two girls keep exchanging letters where they write about their life. Later on, a young, handsome man appears in Nazneens life, and they are having an affair.
The film deals with hard and important problems as religion and politics, and some of the plot keywords are words as immigrants, Muslims, Allah, letter writing, longing, distance, fear, arranged marriage, drowning, England, Bangladesh, 1980s. The film has won several awards, especially for its direction and actors.
I have to admit I was looking forward to watch Bend It Like Beckham, but Brick Lane was no disappointment at all. I liked the movie, especially with the setting and the sound tracks. I know now that watching a movie at school isn't simply for relaxing, and I guess my teacher always has a point of showing us such movies. To learn, of course. I also think I get more value of a film when I am working on it after I have watched it. Then the main themes will be clearer, and the messages from the director will not be so well hidden anymore.

Ingen kommentarer:
Legg inn en kommentar